Important: dada requires bach 0.8

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "dada" environment.
danieleghisi
Site Admin

Important: dada requires bach 0.8

Post by danieleghisi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:08 pm

We have had some complaints about dada objects crashing at instantiation.
As the download pages said (and as we've written even more clearly now), dada requires bach 0.8, otherwise that might even cause crashes.
We're working on a more user-friendly way to deal with versioning issues, that prevents crashing and error messages.
But for the time being, please be sure to install bach 0.8 from our download page if you want to use dada.

Best,
Daniele

vichug

Re: Important: dada requires bach 0.8

Post by vichug » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:17 pm

hey, i have the bach 0.8.0.1beta, and still music~ crashes max without a warning. macOS high sierra, max 8 (latest). I understand that this music~ seems to be very experimental :p anyway i attach a crashlog here, in case it's of any use (i had to archive it, otherwise the forum wouldn't let me upload this unknown file format). Cheers !
Attachments
Max_2019-01-18-132453_MacBook-Pro-de-Vic.crash.7z
(25.37 KiB) Downloaded 823 times

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi, what seems to be crashing is the GMP library (arbitrary precision arithmetics), upon which dada.music~ relies...
That is weird, I don't think I have a real way to know why this happens...
I myself am on high sierra + Max 8 latest.

Is there anyone else in this bachproject forum who has this same issue?

I assume that it crashes at instantiation, isn't it?
THe only thing that comes to mind is to install GMP yourself, and see what happens. But that should not be needed...

(and yep, music~ to me is mostly a nice metaphor! not really useful to do anything, but a nice conceptual object in itself... sorry you cannot instantiate it...)

vichug

Post by vichug » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:46 pm

ok, could it be possibly related to something i installed through homebrew ? or anaconda ? maybe essentia (https://essentia.upf.edu/documentation/) ? if i install gmp, where (on my comp) should i do it, which version, and is it a dynamic linked library ? Would it increase chances of success if i compile dada.music~ from source ?
yes it does crash at instantiation, and when i try to instantiate it, max crashes without warning or ado.
and the name of the object does raise my curiosity :D

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi, I must say, I wouldn't really know because I didn't think you should have installed any library at all.
I'd first would like to inspect whether that's only an issue you have, or if anyone else also has the same issue...
(In the second case it's probably something I did wrong while compiling.)

d