[ANN] Introducing dada!

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "dada" environment.
danieleghisi
Site Admin

[ANN] Introducing dada!

Post by danieleghisi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Dear all,

I am glad to introduce dada: the third member of the bach family.
(A pre-pre-pre-alpha release was already on our website, but now the first actual release, 0.1, is public.)

Although bach contains a certain number of user interface modules, they only implement traditional or standardized representation of music. On the other hand, the dada library is designed to contain non-standard user interface modules for music composition and generation. Most of the modules are inspired by the worlds of plane geometry, recreational mathematics, physical modelling. A portion of its tools are designed to handle actual SQL database in Max, so if you have been struggling with the need of dealing with large amounts of information and being able to query through them, you might find this useful. Other tools deal with pinball models, kaleidoscope, gravity, boids and swarm intelligence, cellular automata, wave-terrain synthesis, platform videogames. If you want to listen to all music, you can check out [dada.music~].

The dada library is open source. It is to bach what a laboratory is to a library.
The source code is in its github page: https://github.com/bachfamily/dada
If you are a programmer, and you'd like to fork it and/or contribute with new modules, that would be great!

Sad note: for the time being, dada is Mac only. Some dependencies might make life harder on windows, but I am confident we'll be able to compile for PC users at some point. On the other hand, if someone wanted to take care of compiling for windows, that would be even better ;)

dada needs the bleeding edge version of bach (0.8 or higher) to work. For the time being you can only download it from our website; we'll put it on the package manager when we'll be able to also compile the windows version (again... if someone would like to help, that'd be cool :-) )

dada is part of my PhD project, supported by UPMC, CNRS, IRCAM (STMS Lab) and Sorbonne University.

Have fun!
Daniele