dada.cartesian 'sensor position'

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "dada" environment.
Electrumpet

dada.cartesian 'sensor position'

Post by Electrumpet » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:35 am

Dear developers,

When using dada.cartesian with an external controller, is there a way to show a 'sensor position' within dada.cartesian? Turtle will of course select the closest knn point, but does not show the status of my external controller which then hampers the selection process precision and speed. Of course I could use another transparant graphical 2D representation on top, but as these solutions are often sloppy (been there before) I hoped dada.cartesian could offer this.

Best, Hans.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: dada.cartesian 'sensor position'

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:29 pm

Hello, a sensor would make sense, I understand. I'll think about implementing it.
The [lcd] superposed to it seems like the only way to go for now. Sorry!
Daniele

Electrumpet

Post by Electrumpet » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:50 pm

No problem.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I'll go with the superposition for now and hope you'll find time in the future.

And when you might be looking at cartesian in the future, I was also wondering if it might be an option to address something else as well. Currently, knn spits out the nearest neighbour and its corresponding data for each and every change in input. I think that in most applications you only want output when the output changes. I can imagine that spitting out large chuncks of data can become rather costly and checking for changes as well. I guess it is more efficient to only ask for the id(s), check whether it changes and then use a query on the dadabase. It would be elegant if there was an option to only return data from cartesian when the knn-selection changes. Or is there?

Best Hans.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:49 pm

Yes, this also makes sense.