Graphic notation (dots) to bach.roll

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "dada" environment.
luisfncosta

Graphic notation (dots) to bach.roll

Post by luisfncosta » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:46 pm

Hey guys!

I'm trying to do a kind of UPIC score that is converted to pitches in the bach.roll. I'm not after a pitch continuum like UPIC, but a conversion of points.

It's very easy to manipulate points in [bach.graph], but it doesn't allow me to scroll horizontally.

I looked for other alternatives like dada.cartesian and dada.distances because they allow this horizontal scrolling. However, this is very new to me and I still have to figure out how databases work.

So before I start something that I'm not sure would benefit me, is it possible to atribute x-axis to time and y-axis to pitch and create points in the database for data.cartesian and dada.distances? In addition to the output with the mouse, do the objects allow you to output the result just by entering the value of the x-axis? Also, since dada has no tutorials, where can I better learn about database coding?

I'm also open to suggestions on different approaches.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Luís

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Graphic notation (dots) to bach.roll

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:27 am

Hello Luis, I'm not sure I've understood completely what you look for.
As far as I remember, UPIC notation is more image-like (so lcd or jitter?).
If you want to scroll horizontally, bach.roll is the first option. You can use pseudo-graphic notation in bach.roll if you hide the staff, clef, accidentals, etc., hide notehead, use lots of pitch breakpoints, so notes become lines. You may also map breakpoint velocity on line width. The downside is that the vertical axis is still "diatonically classical" (not linear in pitch). (A linear pitch mode would be useful, and is in my thoughts...)
Otherwise bach.slot?

d

luisfncosta

Post by luisfncosta » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:11 pm

Hi Danielle!

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I'll try to explain it better.

What I want to do is to convert a kind of drawing sketch to bach.roll. First I'll draw dots in an object, and later I'll convert them to pitches in the bach.roll. The score will be a representation in pitches of this drawing sketch. Something like this: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... e-1-5.jpg , which will later be converted to notes.

My question is about the best object to draw points in a free way. lcd could be an option, but my "drawing sketch" will be long, so I'm looking for an object where I can add points and that it is possible to scroll horizontally.

That's why I mentioned bach.graph. It's very good for adding points and later use those values to convert them to the bach.roll, but it doesn't allow me to create a long score. I would be limited to the size of my screen.

I found dada.cartesian or dada.distances which allow horizontal scrolling. My question is whether it's possible to create points as in bach.graph and assign the x-axis to the timeline?

I hope my question is clearer.

Thanks!

Luís

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:15 pm

I understand. Thanks for the clarification.
No, dada.cartesian won't allow for you to draw on it. Dada.cartesian is a window on a dataset, not a drawing tool.
Another option is still LCD inside a bpatcher to scroll.
Otherwise, your best bet is custom coded canvas (either in js or c), which if course requires more effort...

d

luisfncosta

Post by luisfncosta » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:28 pm

Thanks for your answer, Daniele! Having an lcd in a bpatcher is a good idea. I'll see what I can do with it.

L