help! cage.rhythminterp in poly~ only works for first instance

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "cage" environment.
Christian_Dahne

help! cage.rhythminterp in poly~ only works for first instance

Post by Christian_Dahne » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Hey there,
by intending to achieve somewhat of a heterophonic-effect I tried to use several cage.rhythminterp objects simultaneously in realtime. My idea was to create several instances of cage.rhythminterp by putting them into a poly~ object. Outside the poly~ I have the same amount of nodes-objetcs in order to handle the weights of the rhythmic interpolation. The weights then are send by a send-object into each instance of poly~.

This strategy unfortunately only works for the first instance and I don't understand why. I attached an example patch which demonstrates the problem: Each of the two instances print out the received weights from the nodes-objetcs succesfully. But the interpolated Onsets are only printed out by the first instance of cage.rhythminterp.

Is there a solution?

Thanks for your help!

best,

christian
Attachments
troubleshooting folder.zip
(5.87 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: help! cage.rhythminterp in poly~ only works for first instance

Post by danieleghisi » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi, unless you send target/note messages your poly~ will assign the messages to the first instance. This is not a bach thing, it's a Max thing.
I see you are scripting the "receive" inside your polys, but that's honestly source for lots and lots of troubles. Why don't you use the target messages instead? I'm pretty sure there must be a Max tutorial on poly~, perhaps you can take a look at it!

Best,
Daniele