Cage objects stay grey

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "cage" environment.
Laurent Pigeolet

Cage objects stay grey

Post by Laurent Pigeolet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi,

I installed the Cage libraries (0.4b) and Bach objects libraries (0.7.9b) (stable versions).
I work on Max 6.1.10. Those objects appears correcltly in the list of the object explorer.
In the tutos of Cage folder, there is a patch called "RingAndFrequencyModulation".
Why the cage objects doesn't run correctly in this patch (they stay grey) ? Others cage objects are running correctly. The help of those objects is not available, so I can't understand how they works,...

What must I do?

Thanks for helping,

Laurent.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Cage objects stay grey

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi,

are [cage.fm] and [cage.rm] greyed out?

I must confess I have experienced myself this issue from time to time, but it's out of our control: it seems to be something to be reported to Cycling'74, and their search path retrieval algorithms. A clean Max restart will usually bring the objects back.

Is this what you meant?
d

Laurent Pigeolet

Post by Laurent Pigeolet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi Daniel,

Those 2 objects are always grey...To restart Max don't change anything...
I work with the 6.1.10 version. Maybe the problem comes from that...
Are Cage objects more recent?

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi Laurent,

do you confirm that you have the cage.rm.maxpat and cage.fm.maxpat in your cage/patchers/ folder?

If you do, the issue is a Cycling '74 issue (the way how Cycling '74 deals with the search path), and you should report to them (you might say that we told you to do so). My guess (but it's just a guess) is the fact that Cycling doesn't like that there's a cage.fm.maxpat also. Although that sounds a little crazy.

If you don't, it's an installation issue, and you should delete the cage folder and install it anew.

d

Laurent Pigeolet

Post by Laurent Pigeolet » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi Daniel,

Cage/patcher/folder is ok on my machine.
Here is the answer of Cycling74:

"You need to contact the creators of the Cage package directly. We merely distribute the externals.

Max Gardener"

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Max,

I disagree with cycling: if there are files on their search path that are not recognized by Max, it has nothing to do with the package, but with their search path algorithms. I'll file a complaint myself on the subject (since it has happend on my machine too with the very same abstractions, but it always went away after relaunching Max).

I can still try to give you three workarounds:

1. Try to remove "max.db.json" inside the interface folders, or some of the files in the "init" folder. If your issue is solved, please notify us immediately, since that was somehow our fault (wouldn't know how, though)...

2. If the issue is not solved, revert to the standard cage package (e.g. re-copy it).
Another issue might be that those two abstraction contains other abstractions named similarly. E.g. [cage.fm] contains [cage.fm.core]. It would be a bit weird to assume that this is somehow connected to the Max search path issue... however... you may try to rename [cage.fm.core] to, say [cage.corefm], and replace ALL of its 7 occurrences inside the [cage.fm].
If this solves your issue, please notify to us immediately (and we'll notify to Cycling...), because this might be a big clue for what is wrong with the search path situation. Again, if that's the case, this is their issue, not ours.

3. If the issue is not solved, what if you take the two abstractions out of their folder, and put them somewhere else in your search path?

Let us know!
d

Laurent Pigeolet

Post by Laurent Pigeolet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Daniel,

My name is Laurent, not Max! :D

I tried your 3 solutions. I'm not sure to have understood everything... I describe you what I did:

1. I removed max.db.json first, nothing changes, I removed the init files, nothing changes, I tried all the combinations (remove one, not the others a.s.o.): nothing changes.

2. I replaced the name "cage.fm.core.maxpat" by "cage.corefm.maxpat", an replaced all the names with "fm" in "cage.fm.maxpat", and also in the objects of the subpatches. But it's worst: when I begin to change "p cage.fm_chord-chord" in "cage.corefm_chord-chord", and the names in the last sublevel, it becomes grey also. I'm not sure it was what you proposed.

3. After ctrl Z, I took the 2 objects cage.fm.maxpat and cage.rm.mapat and puted it outside (new folder in patchers, or on my desktop), not result.

4. I copied the Cage folder and putted it outside, no result of course, then I copied un replaced the first, no result, then I deleted it and then downloaded from Internet (stable version also), no result.
I relaunched Max each time for each operation.

Maybe I could try the last version of Cage, or to install Max 7 or both?

Thanks,

Laurent.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Sorry Laurent, I read "Max Gardener" at the bottom of your email, and replied automatically.
I don't think that installing the new version of cage will change much; the issue seems to be about Max's search path.
And yes, using Max 7 might definitely help in this respect, it is not unlikely that some search path issues had been solved. If you can give it a try with Max 7, I'd be curious to know if it works.

d