Root of a chord (in Jazz voicings)

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "cage" environment.
Electrumpet

Root of a chord (in Jazz voicings)

Post by Electrumpet » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:19 pm

Dear list,

Did somebody already try his or her hand at finding possible roots of chords?

I am looking for a way to do some just intonation within more complex jazz harmonies searching for a solution that takes the 'musical' root of the chord into account.
When using cage.virtfund the virtual fundamental will sometimes fall together with the root but often there will be another solution popping up.
I will probably get to some sort of solution using bach.istruct but I was curious if somebody else might have felt the same need and would like to spar on a useful algorithm.

A simple example: The chord E-F-A-B wil render 12 13 16 18 following the overtone structure, which would mean that the functional root is the 13th overtone in the series and A the root. The normal functionality of the chord in jazz harmony would probably be given by F-A-B-E (Fmaj#11) giving 8 10 11 15 so a more logical solution for the just intoned inversion would be 15 16 20 22. (In Jazz voicings the fifth is mostly omitted)**

Let me know also if you would propose a different approach.

Thanks in advance, Hans Leeuw.

**This is different from what a method proposed by Hindemith to find the root of the chord would yield (searching from fifth to fourth to major third etcetera). In that case the A would be considered the root of the chord...

Nikola Kołodziejczyk

Re: Root of a chord (in Jazz voicings)

Post by Nikola Kołodziejczyk » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:57 pm

Finding root for a jazz chord, if this analysis is made thoroughly will yeld You at least 10 results, with 10 different chords, with maybe 3 or 4 strong solutions, 4 weaker and 2 or 3 unlikely solutions. There will always be the element of personal style, taste and context. Context would need some kind of "window" to check the solution for possible cadence match. This task is a huge undertaking. Please tell me if You will succeed if You will try it.

Nikola Kołodziejczyk

PS. for example Your chord could be a Dm6. If the note needs to be in the chord it makes it easier, but then if You limit it to the lowest note You don’t need a solver to find it, and if You do not limit Yourself it could be a Am(b6) - eolian, and the algorithm would have a hard time guessing what You need.