cage.scale — hexatonic scale?

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "cage" environment.
Lauprellim

cage.scale — hexatonic scale?

Post by Lauprellim » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi, I noticed that in cage.scale, the "H" and "h" settings (presumably "hexatonic", at least according to the help patch) actually generate whole-tone scales.

I guess it would be really useful to have whole-tone AND hexatonic scales coming out of this object?

Thanks again for a really amazing package -- the whole thing is totally blowing my mind -- best wishes always --- paul

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: cage.scale — hexatonic scale?

Post by danieleghisi » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:23 am

Hello and thanks!
There are a lot of hexatonic scales, the whole tone scale being perhaps the simplest one :)
Which one did you mean? The diatonic scale with a step removed? With cage.scale you can set the scale intervals yourself by hand: say, 200 200 100 200 200 300.

Lauprellim

Re: cage.scale — hexatonic scale?

Post by Lauprellim » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:34 pm

I apologize for the confusion!

Yes indeed, the WT scale is a hexatonic scale. I was used to Richard Cohn's more specific formulation of a "hexatonic scale", which has become pretty standard terminology at least in Anglo-American music theory discourse (see "Maximally Smooth Cycles, Hexatonic Systems, and the Analysis of Late-Romantic Triadic Progressions", Music Analysis, Vol. 15, No. 1 (Mar., 1996), p. 18, of which a tiny snippet is attached.)

In Cohn's formulation, the "hexatonic scale" is the union of two augmented triads [048] at T1 or T3. You could go a step further and generalize the "whole tone scale" as two [048]s at T2.

For some people, Cohn may be too specific. I do see the utility in the cage object's more general formulation.

The cage object is obviously a simple shortcut (and as you pointed out, there are many other great ways to generate scales in bach/cage!) Even so, it might be nice to differentiate between them a little further? I hope I'm not making a tempest in a teapot!
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.25.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.25.33 AM.png (32.16 KiB) Viewed 33573 times