Position Slave

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
sydy

Position Slave

Post by sydy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Hy,

I've seen the nice possibility to make a roll "slave" of score. The problem with this feature is that it is very cpu demanding.

Do you have any better idea than asking Bach.score constantly it's position (expensive – very expensive). It actually would be ok for me just to set the state once and then let them both run. But this doesn't seem to work.

In other words, I couldn't figure out how to position the roll with the exact same proposition as the score without using the routine which makes the roll "slave" of the score.

Thanks for any suggestion.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Position Slave

Post by danieleghisi » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi sydy, unfortunately that is the only mechanism you can use to align a roll to a score (i.e constantly querying the positions, which is indeed CPU demanding). In the future it would be nice to have a more efficient custom-spacing mechanism (a snippet of bell code?), but that may perhaps be something for a future major release.

If you need to be efficient, you may want to do the opposite: use the proportional spacing in bach.score, perhaps with @showtimesinatures 2 (above staff), also see @bigtsratio.

d