respell options: avoid augmented intervals between two consecutive notes

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
sydy

respell options: avoid augmented intervals between two consecutive notes

Post by sydy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 am

Hy,

Im experimenting with the respell options. When I compose on paper I use two simple rules for my atonal spelling:

1. As simple as possible. So if possible no augmented intervals like an augmented second.

2. I try to lead one note to the other by using sharps for ascending and flats for falling lines.

Does someone of this group know how to realise that with the spelling options of bach?
I was trying but couldn't even find the solution for rule 1.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
M

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: respell options: avoid augmented intervals between two consecutive notes

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 am

Hi sydy,

no, not currently. The respell object implements 2 or 3 existing algorithms; one of which was proposed by Chew & Chen, and a "new" one that we devised for more general non-tonal cases. In none of them there's control over the intervals, nor on the specific rule for going up/going down (which is not always as tidy as you say: I suspect you may prefer E-D#-C# too :-) I guess the point would be distinguishing between chromatic and diatonic motion, which is not something that the current algorithms have any notion of.

If you're interested, there's a paper detailing how the algorithm works:
https://www.tenor-conference.org/procee ... enor18.pdf

sydy

Re: respell options: avoid augmented intervals between two consecutive notes

Post by sydy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:04 pm

Thank you Daniele. Also for the reply on all my other messages :–)

I see a possibility with lambda – hhrrr, not what I prefer but why not. I will post it once I've found the time to realise it.

m