Problems of XML importation into bach.score

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
jojocello

Problems of XML importation into bach.score

Post by jojocello » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 am

Hi,

I’m struggling since quite a long time with the importation of MusicXML files into bach.score (version Bach 0.8.1 and Max 8).
I use Sibelius to create the scores and export them as MusicXML files (version 3).
During the importation process of such MusicXML files into bach.score, I get sometimes weird messages in the Max console : « bach.score - tie mismatch ».
Actually, when my XML files contain ties between the notes, bach.score doesn’t seem to be able to render them.
I noticed the same kind of mistakes occuring with the beaming between quiver notes, which sometimes appear to be different from the original score.

More annoying, bach.score discards a note after the importation of one of my XML scores.
This is really a blocking problem in this case because I use Bach during a score following process.
I provide you with the files that should help to reproduce the error (the tenth note of my XML file is lacking in bach.score).
Any help on this problem would be highly appreciated.
Attachments
XML score.zip
(61.42 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

andreaagostini

Re: Problems of XML importation into bach.score

Post by andreaagostini » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 am

Hi,
I'd need an example of the first issue you describe. I'm not sure I've understood it.

As for the second issue, there is indeed a tie mismatch in the XML. I guess it's a Sibelius bug, or perhaps there really is a tie that starts and doesn't end in your score, in which case it is something bach can't represent. Anyway, I've fixed the pitch misplacement. We plan on doing a prerelease for our Patreon supporters very soon, and it will include the fix.

Thanks for your report,
andrea

jojocello

Post by jojocello » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:54 am

Hi Andrea,
Thanks for your answer.

Actually you are right, something is bugged in the native Sibelius plugin performing the export of MusicXML files.
I found a solution with the external Dolet plugin, which does a better job : https://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/d ... ase-notes/
By using the Dolet plugin, the ties start and end correctly ("slur" XML tag), which solves the problem of tie mismatch during bach.score importation.
Nevertheless, these ties never appear in the bach.score rendering.
Will it be fixed in the next release you spoke about ?

Regarding my other issue, I provide you with the MusicXML file (bach_suite4_prelude_mes27-33.xml), which may help you to understand better.
The notes should be beamed by group of 4 ("beam" XML tag) but appear beamed by group of 2 in the bach.score.
Other minor thing : An incorrect pause has been displayed in the center of each measure.

Last minor issue : the anacrusis at the beginning of the file bach_suite4_gigue_mes19-26.xml is rendered in bach.score within a preliminary new measure with silences. Can it be solve ?

Best regards,
Jocelyn
Attachments
Pb Bach import XML.zip
(48.46 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

andreaagostini

Post by andreaagostini » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi,

as for the issue with ties / slurs, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.
bach.score doesn't represent slurs, there is no way to import them.
As I don't have Sibelius, I imported your XML in Finale, assuming that it does the correct thing, and what I get now in bach.score corresponds to what I see in Finale, except for the slur that is simply ignored.

The pause at the center of the measure derives from the fact that at some point in the original file there is a second voice. If this is the case, there is no way to avoid full-measure rests for the second voice when it is silent.

I can reproduce the two other issues, I'm going to have a look.

Thanks,
andrea

andreaagostini

Post by andreaagostini » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi,

one more thing: the fact that your beaming is altered is expected if you stick to the default values of bach.score's rhythmic tree attributes. If you want to retain more of the original beaming, you may want to disable "maketreecompatiblewithts" and set "treehandling" to "Take for granted".

I also have to tell you that the problem with pickup measures is not likely be solved in the forthcoming release for patrons, as we're really adding the finishing touches and it's not time anymore for adding new fixes. Sorry about that. Of course, it stays in our to-do list.

Best,
andrea

andreaagostini

Post by andreaagostini » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:16 pm

... ok, pickup measures are done (except for some testing). There was an easy way ;)
andrea

jojocello

Post by jojocello » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:57 pm

Ok Andrea,
Thank you very much for your help, it works :)
I wouldn't have thought by myself to modify the bach.score's rhythmic tree attributes..
Regarding the pickup measure, I may understand that you will include it in the very next release ?
What will be the version number for this release ? The best way to install it remains through Package Manager ?
Best regards,
Jocelyn

andreaagostini

Post by andreaagostini » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:14 am

Hi,
we prefer to call it a "pre-release"... anyway, it will be version 0.8.1.2, and no, it will not be available on the Package Manager. In fact, it will only be distributed to subscribers of our Patreon page, as a benefit for our supporters. The next version on the PM will of course include all the fixes and new features of the past months, and hopefully more, but we don't absolutely have a timeframe yet and anyway it is highly unlikely to happen before a few months.
andrea