crop Bach.score outside of measure lines. workaround?

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
goyo

crop Bach.score outside of measure lines. workaround?

Post by goyo » Mon May 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Hello,
I've only recently discovered bach, after a long time away from Max/msp. What a revelation! Thank you for this.
What I am trying to do is select a portion of an imported mxml in Bach.score and simply copy/past it, or dump it into another empty bach.score. Ideally I'd like select outside of the measure lines. move only the durations, and leave behind all of the measure info. I've tried the obvious objects:

cage.crop (only selects on the measure)
score2roll -> cage.slice -> quantize back to score (can't get quantize to use the right tempo, so result is skewed)
dumpselection message (can't seem to get this so work but maybe I haven't tried everything, but this seems like a simple option)

Just wondering if anyone has any quick ideas. I'll keep trying.
Thanks!

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: crop Bach.score outside of measure lines. workaround?

Post by danieleghisi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi goyo. cage.crop at some point should also be able to crop outside the measures, but that is not the case now.

In the next dada version there is going to be a "marker" segmentation mode for dada.segment; you can feed it a bach.score, some markers, and it'll return the portions between them. Looks like this is what you are looking for. It'll be in the next patreon prerelease (still not sure of when that will be, but the feature is already implemented), or in the next official release (which is surely further away, though).

If I had to build a workaround right now I think I would use the slice message + a combination of [bach.beatunbox], then slicing the proper portions, and then [bach.beatbox]. Does it make sense? It's not as straightforward as cage.crop, though.

Best,
daniele

goyo

Re: crop Bach.score outside of measure lines. workaround?

Post by goyo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:25 pm

Thanks Daniele
That sounds great. I actually figured out a pretty good system by retrieving the loop in and out points with bach.keys, converting the score to a roll with score2roll to extract outside of the bar lines, and cage.slice->back.pick to dump what's inside the loop, and then re-quantizing. I was hung up on getting it to use my tempo to quantize, so it was giving me odd results. So I finally figured out how to use Bach.eval to create my own meter and tempo to message Bach.quantize, and it is working pretty well.
I'll look into bach.beatbox like you said. maybe that would work better.

bach is amazing, but I'm just starting to climb the learning curve. Just like MAX always was for me, there's always a solution, but it's always frustrating trial and error until you find it.

Thanks!