Error in exporting score or roll to Open Music or PWGL

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
fdsdb

Error in exporting score or roll to Open Music or PWGL

Post by fdsdb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi All,

I have searched for this question, it seems to me there are no precedent posts, I apologize if I am in error.
I must premise I am not very skilled in bach library, but in exporting scores or rolls to Open Music or PWGL, when I import the text file in corresponding score or chord-seq classes in Open Music or PWGL, I receive always the same error: "ERROR: I can not take CAR of [". I understand the type of error, but I am not able to correct it.
I should have the most recent versions of softwares, and I am working on OsX El Capitan.
Thank you in advance for any help. Ciao

fdsdb

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Error in exporting score or roll to Open Music or PWGL

Post by danieleghisi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:45 am

Hi, this could very well be a bug slipped in in bach 0.8, when we switched to square brackets.
As a matter of fact, I assume OM expects indeed round brackets.
Can you please open the file with any text editor and do a search and replace? Search for "[" and replace it with "(", then search for "]" and replace it with ")".

Can you tell me if this solves the issue? If so we can fix the bug for the next releases.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble,
Daniele

fdsdb

Post by fdsdb » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Hi Daniele,

I have substituted square brackets with round ones. This appears to solve problems both in PWGL and in Open Music under certain circumstances: I have used bach library example relative to "OpenMusic export" help topic, everything runs fine (after substituting brackets, of course).

This problem arose during my examination of Max patches related to MyOrc project: https://forum.ircam.fr/projects/detail/myorch/
Starting from this patch I have verified that, adjusting brackets in output bach library file (the result of aided orchestration), PWGL reads it perfectly, with all text annotations relative to instrument, audio file and so on, exactly as in bach roll object, however Open Music reads only the pitches.

If I have some updates I will post them here. At the moment I can not verify orchidea Max library example exportation, because Max is giving me some problem in maintaining paths specified in File Preferences menu.

I hope this feedback can be somehow useful, ciao

Fabio

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi Fabio, can you send us (even privately at info at bachproject dot net) an example of bach.roll or bach.score that you cannot manage to export to OpenMusic? Glad to hear that PWGL import/export export work fine.

I have fixed the parenthesis export for next release.

d