Second 'lyrics' slot and background (plus 'show')

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
Electrumpet

Second 'lyrics' slot and background (plus 'show')

Post by Electrumpet » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Dear developers,

Is it possible to have two text lines simultaneously in Bach? Like having one at the bottom for lyrics and one at the top for other text information like interpretation? At the moment it seems I have to choose for either one.

Secondly concerning slots:
Is it already possible to do some positioning in background? Like moving slots further away from the notes when used in background? The only manipulation I see currently is the zoom factor.

And a recommendation:
Also about background. Considering the sheer amount of tutorial and help information, which is great, the background feature of the slots is sort of hidden. It took me a long time to find it since I was searching for an attribute or message containing 'show' or 'show slots'. Background is not a logical name for me (I am not a native speaker though). It also only shows up in the slot inspector and there is nothing in the score or roll inspector. To help future Bach enthusiasts I would recommend giving it some thought and maybe add it to a few tutorials or other help patches?

Thanks in advance.

Best, Hans.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Second 'lyrics' slot and background (plus 'show')

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi,

you can have lyrics and annotations, if that is what you are looking for. THere's a default annotation slot mapped on the 't' key, so you can try that out if that fits your needs!

You can offset the background text slots via the @bgslottextshift attribute.

I totally understand your point on the background slot thing. It makes sense. Probably it should be better documented; eventually it may be renamed, but not for this release (just for a matter of timing: that's not a decision to take at the last minute). I'll definitely add some keywords and rename some titles in the documentation, though.

BTW, the bgslots is also an object attribute, so you can find it in the ordinary inspector.

Electrumpet

Re: Second 'lyrics' slot and background (plus 'show')

Post by Electrumpet » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:41 am

Ah, fantastic. I am sorry to bother you with questions about things that are already there...

Exactly what I was looking for.