ezmidiplay stops working once audio is on

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
NM_

ezmidiplay stops working once audio is on

Post by NM_ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello,

I'm running a patch and have been editing, at some point without noticing it, the bach.ezmidiplay object playing a microtonal chord in my patch has stopped making sound. I've noticed that it works when I restart max and reopen the patch, but once I turn the audio on (because the patch is making a spectral transcription of a live sound), ezmidiplay stops working until I restart max, in all other patches too (including the helpfiles).

Any thoughts?

I can post the patches but it has some abstractions and zsa objects so can't easily copy compress.

Cheers
Nick

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: ezmidiplay stops working once audio is on

Post by danieleghisi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi, since ezmidiplay is just an abstraction with a noteout inside, I tend to think that it's the whole midi system that has stopped working.
When ezmidiplay stops working, try to open noteout's help file: does it work? Do you have midi output? If not, this is not a bach issue, but rather a general Max issue, or maybe one of the third party objects doing bad things...

NM_

Re: ezmidiplay stops working once audio is on

Post by NM_ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:45 am

I suspect you're correct as midi playout doesn't work in other non-bach patches after turning audio on. I'm using the zsa.descriptors zsa.fft~ object in this patch to transcribe sounds to notation as frequencies-amplitudes pairs to midicents-velocity pairs. I notice that [zsa.fft~] forces the I/O vector size to 2048 in the audio status window, so perhaps it is also doing naughty things with midi, or interfering somehow - I'll jump to the max forum and see whether anyone can shed some light on the problem.

Cheers
Nick