Best way to display / create arpeggio

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
NM_

Best way to display / create arpeggio

Post by NM_ » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 am

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to create an arpeggio in bach.roll just like how OpenMusic's chord objects can display a chord as an arpeggio in the chord-object pop-out window.

I know I could make a subpatch to reformat a bach.roll's note to spread out n number of notes spaced at for example 100ms apart in ascending order, but I was wondering whether anyone might already have a good tool for that.

For now I'm looking at chords made from FM spectra but there are too many notes in the chord to be able to read them easily.

Cheers
Nick

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Best way to display / create arpeggio

Post by danieleghisi » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi, there is no specific "arpeggio view" in bach, but you can of course position the notes properly, and I think you already know how to do that via #separate+syntax (I suppose that's what you mentioned).
You might want to know that there's a quicker way, which is to take advantage of in-place scripting (if you already know that, forgive me).
You can send a message like:

[explodechords, sel all, onset = chordindex * 500]

or something along those lines. Look up #explodechords, or go to Help center > Notation > Editing > Operate on selection to know more.

Add [showdurations 0] if you want to hide the durations.

Hope this helps,
Daniele

NM_

Re: Best way to display / create arpeggio

Post by NM_ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Cheers Danielie!
I didn't know any of the things you mentioned as I'm still fresh to bach, but the message you suggested [explodechords, sel all, onset = chordindex * 500] works a treat - and I can dynamically scale the last value to the total number of notes in a chord so that they always display legibly (until there are too many notes...)
thanks again
Nick