raised flat instead of lowered half-flat?

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
pedrnun

raised flat instead of lowered half-flat?

Post by pedrnun » Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am

Hi!

Is it possible to notate a raised flat instead of a lowered half-flat?
I mean, by selecting a note in a [bach.score] and sending it the message: pitch Eb^6, I was expecting a flat with a little upward arrow point.
Instead, the result is the same as: pitch Edv6, which means a flipped flat with a downward arrow point.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Pedro

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: raised flat instead of lowered half-flat?

Post by danieleghisi » Fri May 17, 2019 6:34 am

The short answer is no: both expressions are shortcuts for -3/8t, and as such they coincide, bach has currently no way to distinguish...

Tj Shredder

Post by Tj Shredder » Fri May 17, 2019 9:07 am

I have a related request. I would like to see another display mode. As many musicians are familiar with the classic notation, and microtonal is much more precise than any 8t or quartertone I would like to have a mode which combines the classic with the cent way to display the accidentials. Simply add the cent deviation above or below of the accidential... At the moment I select the classic display and use a slot which carries the cent deviation to display that on top of the score some how... Not ideal.
I find the pure cent accidental display a bit confusing if you read along a score...

pedrnun

Post by pedrnun » Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm

danieleghisi wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:34 am
The short answer is no: both expressions are shortcuts for -3/8t, and as such they coincide, bach has currently no way to distinguish...
I see... now it's clear why with cmd+R it respells to D6+5/8t and not anything else.
Thanks for clarifying, Daniele!

FYI, in my use case, a raised flat would be more appropriate for a simple reason: it is to be performed by a flautist who isn't very experienced in microtonal stuff and the upward arrow is more intuitive. Besides, I don't really care if the intonation is exactly on the spot, as long as it is a bit higher than Eb and a bit lower than Ed.

Cheers,
P.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 pm

pedrnun wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm
FYI, in my use case, a raised flat would be more appropriate for a simple reason: it is to be performed by a flautist who isn't very experienced in microtonal stuff and the upward arrow is more intuitive. Besides, I don't really care if the intonation is exactly on the spot, as long as it is a bit higher than Eb and a bit lower than Ed.
I understand. Maybe in the future we'll have some way of choosing among different spelling.
For now, you can of course edit a font file yourself ;)
(Some of the supported articulation fonts are open fonts, I think)

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sun May 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Tj Shredder wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:07 am
I have a related request. I would like to see another display mode. As many musicians are familiar with the classic notation, and microtonal is much more precise than any 8t or quartertone I would like to have a mode which combines the classic with the cent way to display the accidentials. Simply add the cent deviation above or below of the accidential... At the moment I select the classic display and use a slot which carries the cent deviation to display that on top of the score some how... Not ideal.
I find the pure cent accidental display a bit confusing if you read along a score...
I understand. This could be a nice idea.

pedrnun

Post by pedrnun » Sun May 19, 2019 10:33 pm

danieleghisi wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Maybe in the future we'll have some way of choosing among different spelling.
That would be nice! In Sibelius, when there's more than two spelling possibilities (with quarter tones), one can cycle through them by striking the return key. Of course, I know that doesn't say much about the actual implementation! :roll:
danieleghisi wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 pm
For now, you can of course edit a font file yourself ;)
I've thought about that but... basically, I haven't got the time! :?
... unless you know of a quick way to do it and care to point me in the right direction! ;-)