Problems with November for Bach Font

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
bfuhrman

Problems with November for Bach Font

Post by bfuhrman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm getting some bizarre display issues with the November for Bach font as seen in the attached screenshots. I'm running Win10 Pro 64bit, Max 8.05 64bit, and the latest stable version of Bach from the Package Manager in Max (although I've also tried downloading the 8.0.1 beta). I've rebuilt the Windows font cache using the Winaero instructions https://winaero.com/blog/rebuild-font-cache-windows-10/ and have reinstalled both Max and Bach.

It's like there is no instance of the font anywhere on my system or in the Bach package.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
BachRoll.png
BachRoll.png (126.45 KiB) Viewed 3174 times

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Problems with November for Bach Font

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:34 am

Hi, this is weird. I'm no expert on Windows, so I'll let someone else try to answer.
(In principle the font should be charged at runtime, you should not need to install it.)
Just want to point out that you can use other supported fonts, by changing the @notationfont, @accidentalsfont and @articulationsfont attributes.

bfuhrman

Post by bfuhrman » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi Daniele-
Where in the Bach package is the font located? The only one I see is the Microton.ttf in the Bach 0.7.9 package. No other fonts are there.

As for changing the font, I've tried changing to Bravura and get the error "bach.roll: Warning: font Bravura is not supported as notation font." Same with Emmentaler, which is also SMUFL compliant, and Maestro, which is not. In fact, any font that I try and load into the @notationfont, @accidentalsfont, or @articulationsfont produces the same error.

Thanks!

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:58 am

Hi,

just look for #fonts in the Help center, you'll find a page titled "Supported and default fonts". Maestro works fine for me, and no error message (are you sure it raises an error on your machine?)

There should be absolutely no Microton.ttf in any of the bach packages. If there is one, I guess it has been copied by hand later?...
The embedded "November for bach" font is hidden and should be charged automatically when you load Max.
If it's not, can you try with bach 0.8? Does it make any difference?

bfuhrman

Post by bfuhrman » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:16 am

Hi Daniele-
I don't notice any changes between Bach 0.8 and 0.7.9. Still the same with November for Bach not loading correctly. Going through the fonts listed, Petrucci seems to work, except for displaying noteheads. See the attached.

No way to test Boulez as the links in the "Supported Fonts" page seem to be invalid. Maestro isn't working either. Thanks.
BachPetrucci.png
BachPetrucci.png (196.03 KiB) Viewed 3156 times

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi, it's very weird that Maestro and Petrucci don't work. They both work fine on my machine.
Can you tell me if you have error messages in the Max window when you load Maestro/Petrucci? You should not...

I hence suspect that it's a more general issue with font loading with your specific Windows version.
I'm afraid I cannot help more than this, given my ignorance on Windows... Maybe Andrea can chip in.

Has any other Windows 10 user experienced the same issues?

d

bfuhrman

Post by bfuhrman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:21 am

No errors with either Maestero or Petrucci when I load them in - just garbled output. I've tried it on another Windows machine and it gets the same result. Trying it on a friend's Mac worked perfectly with Maestro, Petrucci, and November for Bach.