Question about SDIF files

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
tmrolls

Question about SDIF files

Post by tmrolls » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:18 pm

I have a quick question on reading SDIF files. I am using Audiosculpt and Spear to create files, but when I try to read files in Bach created with Audiosculpt, Max hangs or crashes. Most files I use created in Spear read fine, unless they are very long. Is this expected behavior? Or am I doing something wrong in creating the SDIF files in Audioscult. I much prefer working in Audiosculpt because of it's editing tools, but I suppose I can work around that. I'm using Max 7.2.1, Bach. 7.8.1, and Cage 3.1.

Regards,
Tim
---------------------------------------
Timothy Michael Rolls, D.M.A.
Associate Professor of Music Theory/Composition/Music Technology
Fort Hays State University

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Question about SDIF files

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi Tim,

can you send us one of such SDIF files that do not open on your machine?
cage SDIF modules are unfortunately expected to be rather slow, and I suspect that some of your "hang" might just be long computational time. Indeed cage is a library made solely by abstractions, and it made sense to us, in that context, to develop abstraction-made SDIF helpers. We are aware that because of this choice those modules are very slow (if you open them, they some sort of matrioska-made abstractions). We might be tackling this problem with native C code in some other context.

Please feel free to send me the SDIF files causing issues at danieleghisi@bachproject.net.
I'll do my best to look into it.

Regards,
Daniele