Max arrays vs lllls?

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
pipetovarh

Max arrays vs lllls?

Post by pipetovarh » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:33 pm

Hi all,

In light of the recent addition of array datatypes in Max 8.6.0, I'm curious if anyone has information on how arrays compare to lllls, especially but not limited to performance metrics.

Thanks in advance!

F

andreaagostini

Re: Max arrays vs lllls?

Post by andreaagostini » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:02 pm

Hi,

We haven't conducted any benchmarks, but I expect Max arrays to be way faster than lllls for most operations. Exceptions should theoretically include insertion and deletion of elements, but in practice I wouldn't be so sure about that.

On the other hand, arrays have limited capacity (32k items) whereas lllls have no hardcoded maximum. And of course lllls can contain pitches and rationals, whereas arrays are limited to Max's data types (although, of course, they can contain pitches and rationals in their respective textual representations, as symbols).

Best,
andrea

jeremydb

Post by jeremydb » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:54 am

Hi,

Just to clarify, the new array type in Max 8.6 has no hardcoded maximum -- that's one of the features! Arrays probably cannot do anything useful with bach-specific data types, although they can contain dictionaries, strings, symbols and numbers. If anyone at bachproject is interested in chatting about arrays/strings and potentially adding support for them in the bachiverse, we're around!

Jeremy (@ Cycling)

andreaagostini

Post by andreaagostini » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:19 am

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for the incorrect assumption. And yes, a chat about arrays and strings could be a great idea at some point, but I think we have a few things to sort out first...

Best,
andrea