Any interest in Bach working with Scheme for Max? (embedded lisp in Max)

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
iainctduncan

Any interest in Bach working with Scheme for Max? (embedded lisp in Max)

Post by iainctduncan » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:42 pm

Hello Bach people, I'm the author of Scheme for Max, an external embeds a fully functional Scheme (lisp) interpreter in Max. I'm currently exploring potential directions for upcoming releases. A possibility is to explore making s4m play well with Bach, so I wanted to a) find out if there is much interest here, b) find out if there are any people interested in helping explore and potentially implement if it proves doable.

S4M allows loading full Scheme code, both from files and messages, and includes extensive functionality for writing from Scheme to Max data structures and interacting with the host scheduler, as well as sending and receiving max messages. It uses the s7 Scheme interpreter, the same one in Common Music 3 and the Snd library. It also runs in the high priority thread, so unlike the JS object or Node, can be used for accurate and low latency timing. I do not know yet how practical it would be to make it understand Bach objects (I imagine the linking would be tricky), but I think if one could access and work on Bach llls directly in Scheme this could be very powerful.

I have demos of S4M here: https://youtube.com/c/musicwithlisp
project page here: https://github.com/iainctduncan/scheme-for-max

andreaagostini

Re: Any interest in Bach working with Scheme for Max? (embedded lisp in Max)

Post by andreaagostini » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:56 pm

Hi Iain,

I had already downloaded your s4m object, and I have to say it's terrific. Unfortunately I don't really know Scheme and my Common Lisp is decidedly rusty, so I couldn't really put it to good use as it deserves.

Anyway, the idea of linking s4m to bach seriously entices me, although I anticipate quite a few stumbling blocks (and I admit that I have some pressing bach-related things to take care of, before undertaking a new crazy challenge!)

But let's talk about it if you'd like, and see what can be done — you can contact me at info -at- bachproject -dot- net.

Cheers,
andrea

ps: only partly related, but do you know Julien Vincenot's PWforMax, linking Lisp-based PWGL to bach?

iainctduncan

Re: Any interest in Bach working with Scheme for Max? (embedded lisp in Max)

Post by iainctduncan » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:28 am

Hi Andrea, talking about sometime would be great! It would be a fairly substantial piece of work, but as I need future work plans for S4M for my phd application, that would be ok. And I think it could be very valuable to both s4m and bach users.

I will email you!
iain