something like M

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
arpeggio

something like M

Post by arpeggio » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello,
I there a way of manipulating midi info like M does, so play a pattern and manipulate it's musical ingredients.
Does Bach or Cage have modules for that, or which tutorial or patch is best for the beginning.
Or is there a better program or way to do that, i am on windows, i have an old imac bought especialy for M a while ago, now i like to make a max or pure data patch for manipulating midi note data.
This Bach thing is great, many thanks, great work, Dian from the Netherlands

andreaagostini

Re: something like M

Post by andreaagostini » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi,
unfortunately we never used M, and to be honest we have no idea of how it is like (the page on the C74 website is not really informative).
So, frankly, we really can't answer your question...
Sorry,
andrea

arpeggio

Post by arpeggio » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I try to explain what M does and better what i am looking for(in Bach, Cage) or something else.
Play or import a begin pattern and then let the program do all kind of manipulations with it.
It is for midi note input. And the manipulations are note density( how many notes from the pattern are played) velocity range(the dynamics of the pattern) the note order(mangle/shift the notes) and transpose the notes.
And also the duration(long notes short notes)
So this are the notes changers and then you can set some sliders with % probability values for each pattern changer, so lets say 50% note order change and 50% transposition in a velocity range of 34-89.

You get each cycle the pattern is repeated a kind of random adjusted version of your original pattern. And how much random you can set with the % sliders. The higher the slider the more notes will differ.

So i think i can call this a pattern manipulator.
Are there any Bach or Cage modules for changing midi data.
Thanks again, Dian

andreaagostini

Post by andreaagostini » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Uhm... Let's say that Max was born, essentially, as a tool for manipulating MIDI data... If anything, bach is more about going beyond MIDI, and supporting musical practices needing richer kinds of representation. That being said, it is quite possible that some bach-specific tools for data manipulation or visualisation can help you in your project, but your mileage may vary.
andrea