Goto looping

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
Zhcam

Goto looping

Post by Zhcam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:35 am

The new goto feature is great and very helpful. Is it possible to loop go to next from a starting position to an ending position and back to the start? At the moment I only need to do this with notes and chords. Perhaps this would be possible with the where or until conditions but I do not know the correct language or syntax to use.

If this is not possible, please consider this is a feature request - that goto next etc would trigger regularly until it reaches x amount of time or conditions, at which point it would loop (start) back to a selection at y time or based upon conditions. As a rough example goto next @type chord @loopwithin (3 4) would loop between measures 3 and 4. If there was custom logic for this type of behavior that would be nice - or even if it worked in conjunction with the existing playback looping mode.

I have tried looping using goto next and enabling playout fullpath to parse all of the selected notes' measure data and loop by triggering goto time (loop start time) once they have all reached the next measure - but am having difficulty with the logic, particularly with @skiprests enabled and there are rests at the start or end of, or before and after the bounds of my intended loop region. If anybody has some pointers or a patcher that shows how to do this in these scenarios that would be appreciated.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Goto looping

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi,

all of this makes sense. We need to look into the possible interactions between the goto mechanism and the existing loop...
I'll put it on our to-do list.

d

Zhcam

Post by Zhcam » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:15 am

Just saw that you responded! Thanks for looking into it. I really appreciate how much you guys put into this project.

Zhcam

Post by Zhcam » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 am

Hello. I am revisiting bach and the project for which I had this requirement. I have reviewed the documentation and am unsure - was this feature ever implemented?

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:58 am

Short answer is no because it is a bit more intricate than this (e.g. what about notes crossing the loop? Several other attributes would need to be put in place to handle them)

Long answer is yes: this should be a usage scenario of our forecast binding of bell to bach.roll/score. You will code it yourself (something like: if the next selected note is measure 5 then select the first note of measure two, etc.).
(Bad news is that this is not in the short term, it's a really big endeavour, involving rewriting the engine of bell, adding an object system and having it communicate properly with the notation objects)

Sorry if this is bad news for you... you can find workarounds though: if you use goto with say dump selection or similar, you can check if the measure number is 5, in which case you may send a unsel message for the note (use outputfullpath 1 so you have it's path) and a sel message for the first note of measure 3. This should be doable right now.