[beginner's help] real time recording

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
die.alte.gabe

[beginner's help] real time recording

Post by die.alte.gabe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

hello.

i''ve discovered bachproject.net a couple of days ago and it is, therefore, fair to say that i'm a beginner. first of all: thank you for this really amazing and fantastic tool. i didn't know that this is what i've been looking for the whole time! great work, thank you so much!

so, i've been reading the basic tutorials and a lot of help files the last two days to make some first steps in bach. it all works fine so far but now i'm stuck and i don't know in which direction the solution might be hiding. that's why i wanted to know if you could give me a clue where to look.

i'd like to record in a score what my max patch i had programmed earlier is doing. i have worked out how to add chords with the addchord message and how to put them into the right format (e.g. addchord (1000 (6000 500 100)) ). but how can i make it work that the elapsed time in my piece corresponds to the time in bach.roll? i basically would wish for bach.roll to record what my patch is producing while it is producing it, in real time that is. so, a possible reformulation of my question would be: how can i make the bach.roll "move" or "play" and insert notes as i go? or am i completely mistaken with this approach?

i've tried to attach my file so that you can have a look at it. unfortunately, it tells me that "the extension maxpat is not allowed" – why is that? anyway, i'd appreciate it if someone could give me a clue!

thank you,

christoph

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: [beginner's help] real time recording

Post by danieleghisi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi, have a look at [bach.transcribe] and its help file.
It's meant to be used with real-time recording...
It also has a @play attribute.

Hope this helps.
Daniele

die.alte.gabe

Post by die.alte.gabe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

hi daniele,

thank you very much! i was sure there'd be an easy way to it!

cheers,

c.

die.alte.gabe

real time stories

Post by die.alte.gabe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am

hi daniele.

i’d like to follow up on my last question as things have changed a bit. you’ve absolutely brought me on the right track with your clue about the help file. then, though, i stumbled over what i was actually looking for which was the tutorial „real time stories“. as i’m interested in building a patch that should be recorded in a score, the last sections of this tutorial were where i had to look.

now, i’ve come across another problem that i haven’t been able to find a solution for on my own: the last of the default patches in that tutorial „(p) generating and playing“ outputs these random notes but it basically works by measures, right? so, you generate a couple of durations and according to these durations some pitches which then are wrapped up in the right syntax before getting outputted in bars that can change every time. the structuring unit will, therefore, always be the bar in which the pitch may differ but the durations will always stay the same and are just being duplicated in every round of [uzi].

i was thinking now how to make this more flexible, so that you can actually have any kind of note at every moment and not just duplicate them in one bar. this lead me to the idea of, firstly, fixing the bar to (4 4) and, secondly, adding the durations up to the point where they pass this (4 4). from there on, i would like to pass on the information that a new bar has to start now. can you follow me?

i don’t know if that’s possible and, as i’m quite new to bach, i don’t know either if there’s, again, some object that does the trick for me easily. anyway, i now came across three more problems. would you be willing to have a quick look at my patch? and: how do i attach a patch. it doesn’t seem to be possible.

the problems are as follows:

1. as i’m dealing with fractions which need to remain fractions (i guess–do they actually?) i wanted to use the [t b i] but the integer doesn’t seem to be able to work with bach. is that, again, one of these incompatibilities you’ve been telling us about in the tutorials? is there a workaround or do you have to sort of get your numbers-to-output ready before taking the step to the bach objects? (that’s what the (p) patch looks like to me: you have all the numbers at the ready and only then convert to the bach objects in order to wrap them up in the bach syntax.)

2. i’ve connected a [bach.expr 1/$i1] (to make the durations) to a [bach.+] object to add up the durations up to (4 4), both are linked to a [bach.print]–how come the outputted number of the first object which is directly connected to a [bach.print] is outputted LATER than the output of the [bach.+] which has the longer way?

3. i stored the added up durations values in a [bach.shelf] (although i’m far from certain that this is the handiest and smartest way to do it). when i hit the [dump] message, though, it doesn’t seem to reproduce the order the values were inputted in–how come? how can i make this happen?

i’m sorry for being so long, i hope you don’t mind.

please let me know if you can help me with this. in case you don’t have the time or energy, i’d appreciate if you could tell me whom i can turn to.

thanks a lot,
all best,

christoph

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Christoph,

copy the patch objects as compressed text (select them, and then Edit > Copy Compressed) and paste it here in a message.
Please just posts a minimal patch reproducing the behavior you have issues with.

Two pointers:
1. if you don't want to deal with measures, use bach.beatbox (and his cousin bach.beatunbox). Look at their help files.

2. A bach llll can in native form can be used inside trigger with the "l" letter. E.g. [t b l].

Post your patch snippets if you have troubles, I'll try to have a look at them.

d

die.alte.gabe

Post by die.alte.gabe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm

hi daniele.

thank you for your reply. again, i realise that i've been on the wrong track and your comment put me on the right one. i would never have guessed that bach.beatbox would do the trick for me! but thank you, i've just patched something up real quick and i saw that it finally worked the way i wanted it to. and thanks for your little pieces of advice as well, they were very valuable! so, all is fine for the moment.

all best,

c.