Adding an X amount of rhythms together

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
lacroixm

Adding an X amount of rhythms together

Post by lacroixm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Hey, I just started using Bach and it seems incredibly useful, although very difficult to get a hand of at first. Currently I'm trying to test it out by making something that calculates easy rhythms that will be used in a composition. These rhythms are calculated by a small script I made in JS in MaxMSP and it outputs the rhythms measure by measure as they are generated. Is there an easy way to join all of these in a score together without having to create X amount of join objects, especially to make it that the X amount of measures can be quickly changed?

From what I could find in the tutorials and help files, bach.group could work if I knew before hand the amount of IIII that will be created, but in this case I would want to be able to change that quickly which makes me quite unsure about how to proceed. Looking at some of the videos on Ariane# I was also wondering if the patches to those workshops are available somewhere online to have a good place to start to see how Bach can be used artistically.

Thank you

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: Adding an X amount of rhythms together

Post by danieleghisi » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi, and welcome aboard! :)

if you want to collect multiple element together (a "dynamic join"), bach.collect is the solution.
Also, if you want to concatenate scores, cage.join might be of some help (also works with dynamic number of entries).

As for Ariane#, I thought that their website also hosted the patches... Is this not the case? To make them work, you need a version of bach slightly different than the one distributed here (should be distributed along with the patches), containing some improvements that are not yet in the official release.

In any case, if we get the nulla osta from Ariane#, we will also diffuse the patch on our website as long as the new release of bach will be available (such release is, as I said, needed for some functionalities).

Hope this helps!
d

lacroixm

Post by lacroixm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Aw thank you, the bach.collect worked perfectly I just had to add a bach.wrap at the end of it for my purpose. It'll take some time to get familiar with most objects but so far it seems truly fantastic.

I couldn't find the Ariane# website with the patches actually, only the youtube videos which do help quite a bit. I tried registering on the Ariane website but it seems like they currently have administration problems, so perhaps it will be fixed soon.

Thanks for the help!

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi, glad that helped.

Some objects (like bach.collect) also have @inwrap and @outwrap attributes, to spare you the effort of putting bach.wrap before or after them.
As for Ariane#, we'll see if we can distribute the patches here, when the next release comes out.

Till soon,
d