bach.score, enharmonics

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
alroli

bach.score, enharmonics

Post by alroli » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi there, is it possible to define numerically (so not clicking with the mouse or using letters) the note accidentals? I mean, I've been checking the enharmonic table but it doesn't seem what I need as it seems that it will apply to the whole bach.scroll object, and I'd like to control individual notes.

What I'd like to do is: I have the following message, to be inserted into a bach.score: "((6100)),bang " It could be a C#4 or a Db4; how can I specify which one of those accidentals I want? Is it possible to do numerically or I need to translate somehow the numbers to strings?

I'd like to do it without writing "((C#4)),bang" because using numbers is easier to manipulate.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: bach.score, enharmonics

Post by danieleghisi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Yes, it is possible. Look up #graphic in the help center.
It'll be hopefully easier in next bach versions, we're working on implementing true diatonism support (which mean you'll be able to build Cb5 "from numbers", as you wish... you can already kind of hack that yourself by concatenating symbols in Max...)

alroli

Post by alroli » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:16 am

I'm very sorry for my long unanswered reply, I was out of the town.

Anyway, lots of thanks for your help. I'm going to take a look at #graphic then :)(

josephbranciforte

Post by josephbranciforte » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm

gaining support for true numerical control of enharmonic spelling would be a game-changer in my work as well. i have found complicated workarounds using the enharmonic table, but it does not always work when dealing with natural signs or courtesy accidentals.

if this is implemented in future versions, i'd like to make a request that the natural sign be allowed to be optionally specified numerically as well as accidentals. there are many situations i've encountered where i'd like to nullify an accidental with a natural sign for ease of reading by performers, and with the current system this is not possible (as far as i can tell).

JB

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

True control of enharmonics is under development. it will be included in a public beta we are planning to release in november.

Forcing the display of natural signs is something different. You should be able to nullify accidentals via cautionary accidentals. Isn't this the case? Do you have a patch reproducing the quirk?