all-but-this-element

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
ernopolo

all-but-this-element

Post by ernopolo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello Andrea and Daniele,

It is going to be weird. But you know me. :-D So i go ahead.

I was wondering if it would make sense, to find a character solution for referring to all elements except the specified one. It could be similar to negative indexing. Like -3 means the third element from the end, 3+ (or a better combination) could mean all elements except the third one. So -3+ would mean all elements except the 3rd from the back! :)

Let me know what you think.
The idea came when i was preparing a written "soloing" of certain notes in a roll, which involves slicing all other chords which overlap in time and deleting the overlapping parts. This needs to be done with all other voices than the actual one. So i could use "slice (1000 2000) (3+)". But I guess putting anything after a number is not very useable solution...

Best,
Erno

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Re: all-but-this-element

Post by danieleghisi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi,

you'll evenutally solve this (hopefully) with bach-coding (stay tuned for some news!).
For the time being, you need to build your own list of voices, and remove the one you don't need (it's just a couple of bach modules in sequence). I don't think that creating a syntax for all-but-one elements is a good solution.

ernopolo

Post by ernopolo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:12 pm

yes, yes, no problem with patching this out. just the idea was shiny. but yea, if i think more deeply, the negative indexes has much more layers of usefulness.
courious about the news!
E"

MorrisAlt

Post by MorrisAlt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 am

What's the news?