changing durations in bach.score overwrites some notes

Discussions, advice, bug reports and much more about the "bach" environment.
mugloch

changing durations in bach.score overwrites some notes

Post by mugloch » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:20 am

Hi,

I have a score where everything is generated as 1/16 notes, then I use "symduration = 1/4" to increase all notelengths to quarternote, however I've hit some issues (see screenshot, and demo patch attached [sorry there's two, use the bigger one, can't delete other...]):

- if there's another note in the bar it simply is overwritten by the extension of the first. Could it not make them into a chord and keep relative position?
- notes near end of bar don't get tied over into next bar.
- tuplets sometimes disappear, or notes are displaced.

Any suggestions for how to avoid these? I've tried @adaptts but it gave me a bar of 103/4...
FWIW, I'm generating an orchestral piece so this process will be happening on 40 voices, and I'd like to use "symduration = 1" or even "2" to get the durations I really need.

thanks,
Scott
Attachments
test 31-7-22.maxpat.zip
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
test 31-7-22.maxpat.zip
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 03.07.04.png
Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 03.07.04.png (237.86 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Last edited by mugloch on Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

mugloch

Re: changing durations in bach.score overwrites some notes

Post by mugloch » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:22 am

...ps, I have to generate 1/16 notes initially because I need them to overlap (one note per voice), if I generate longer notes then they don't overlap. There may be some way to fix this of course, which might be easier to fix than the issue in my original post, I'm open to suggestions.

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:47 am

Hello, when you're changing the duration to 1/4 via "symduration", you are not preserving the onset of whatever comes next, but rather pushing them along. It's a bit like having a "ripple edit" on.
What I understand is you would like to change duration by preserving the position of whatever comes next (except for rests). It makes sense but it's not possible for now. The closest thing that relates to what you want is #overtype.

Best,
Daniele

danieleghisi
Site Admin

Post by danieleghisi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:53 am

That said, I guess that what you want is to extend all the notes up till the end of their beat, is this correct?
This doesn't seem to be an easy task if you think about the ramification: what if you have more notes within the same beat? What about tuplets? And what if the chord is the middle 1/20th of a sixteenth-notes quintuplet? etc.
But I'll think about it... :-)